Questions I Ask Myself When Abroad
No matter how many times I travel or how many places I go, I always find myself asking new questions about the customs and culture of where I am. Of course, it’s not only me asking these questions. A lot of people do, and should, ask questions about the places they’re traveling to. Sometimes I ask the Internet, sometimes I ask the locals or natives once I get there, but more often than not, I find myself asking my own self these questions.
And even though I might not always give my brain the correct answers, a good laugh works wonders when you’ve just gotten off a long flight, and you’re feeling a bit tired, flustered, but still very much excited, too. Here are 34 questions I always ask myself while traveling outside the good, ol’ USA.
- Just landed, woo! Oh, no… can people tell I’m American?
- …they know I’m American, don’t they?
- Stay calm, don’t say a word, hide your passport. I wonder if I’ll need this again?
- Do they take other forms of ID here?
- Ugh, I forgot to take some cash out. Should I just use my card?
- Or go to an ATM?
- I wonder if the water is okay to drink? It probably is.
- For goodness sake, can I get water that isn’t sparkling anywhere around here?
- Should I try to ask for something in the local language?
- Or just stick with English?
- Oh god, they can tell I’m American, can’t they?
- I wonder if I could pass for Canadian instead?
- Am I being too loud?
- Why does everyone walk so slow?
- Or am I just walking too fast?
- Great, there’s a metro sign. Seems easy. It should take me no time to get to my Airbnb, right?
- Crap, I’m lost. Where am I?
- What did I do wrong?
- How do I get back to the central station?
- I wonder why it doesn’t smell as bad in this train station as it does in New York?
- Oh shoot, did I have to validate my ticket beforehand?
- Or do they use the honor system here?
- Oh god, what if I end up in jail?
- I need food. Where is the nearest option?
- And more importantly, where is the cheapest option?
- Crap, I still don’t have cash. Will they take my card?
- Is coffee served with milk and sugar here?
- Or do I have to ask for that specifically?
- Is the standard of milk simply ‘whole’ here?
- Oh, I forgot, my phone doesn’t work. It feels kind of nice, though, doesn’t it?
- …but where’s the nearest WiFi hotspot?
- Should I buy a SIM card instead?
- Nah, I’ll just go with it. It can’t be too hard to navigate around here, right?
- I haven’t called back home yet. I wonder if my mom thinks I’m dead?
What are some funny questions you always ask yourself when you’re traveling? Let us know in the comments below.